I am sure that all of us at some point or the other have at least contemplated joining a gym and exercising to get ourselves in shape, more so, if we work for the IT Sector and lead relatively sedentary lifestyles.
My favorite Guest Author now has been advised by his family doctor to hit the gym and get in shape to bring his cholesterol levels back to acceptable levels. And as is his forte, he shares us some interesting and howlarious observations about gyms in general.
My study tour of the gym yielded many insights. Let me share them with you. Please ask your Supervisor at office to stop annoying you. Tell him that you are working on an important deliverable. Irresponsible, these supervisors, not letting you spend a few minutes educating yourself.
1. You must wear branded stuff only. Make sure that the logos are visible. If it appears too new, you will look like a L Board. So, there must be signs of wear and tear. I bought my gym attire in Saravana Stores. So, if you look closely, the logos will read as ‘Niky’, ‘Adhidas’ and so on. But, I get value for money.
2. The folks on the street will drink water from water bottles. In the gym, you use a sipper. Sipper is basically a plastic bottle. If it is meant for children, it has Doraemon sticker on it. If is for folks in the gym, it has a sports logo and is priced 3 times more.
3. Should you wear close fitting clothes? Those of you who know about my six packs, would have expected me to flaunt it. But, I must admit that I actually disguise myself in loose fitting clothes. This is to avoid distracting all those young folks around me. I may have a body of steel, but inside me beats a tender loving heart.
4. I should however warn you that anything lesser than a 3/4 pants is a risk. This is especially if you wear torn socks like me.
5. When should you go to the gym? Never. Sorry, that is my frustrated real self speaking. Well, go whenever convenient. But, don’t end up having samosas after your gym work out. You might have as well stayed at home.
6. Running on the treadmill doesn’t help you catch the Siruseri bus. What’s the hurry?
7. Weights in gyms are marked in kilos as well as pounds. One kilo is approximately 2.2 pounds. Use this confusion to advantage. Claim to lift 20 kilo weights when you actually do 20 pounds.
8. Grunt when you do anything. It is supposed to make folks around appreciate your enormous endurance levels.
9. Use your time in gym to good advantage. Watch TV, read the newspapers, drink water, appreciate the scenery and the designated 1 hour will pass in no time.
10. Want to know the best fitness routine? Give me a smile. There! That’s the best workout your face has got today.
10. Last but not the least, don’t ever blog about gymming in the official blog network. There are many fitness freaks blogging here who run marathons, climb mountains, ride cycles to work etc. They will give you an inferiority complex and a splitting headache.
Gymming can’t buy happiness, but Magnum ice cream can 😀
So now that you have been enlightened with the author’s views on gyms and gymming, I am sure you have your own gym stories to share. Go ahead and share them in the comments section 😀
21 thoughts on “Guest Post : Idiots’ guide to gymming”
Frankly, I enjoy going to the gym especially weight lifting.
And I wear track and my hubby’s tee!! So, not quite sure about the designer clothing!! 😛 😉
I think for the gym comfortable clothing matters more than labels! 😀
nice one by your favorite guest author!
@pixie, based on your pictures I wouldn’t have put your name down for weights, but then I guess you are stronger than you look, aren’t you 😀
Oops! I don’t look strong? 😛
Well, I do weights mainly to keep my knee strong (leg weights) esp the operated one 😀
but wait.. what do those pictures tell you?! 😛
@pixie, those pictures are of this sweet little person with glasses who travels quite a bit and likes to pose in front of good landscapes and viewpoints 🙂 Just kidding pixie, but yes, am someone who enjoys your travel pix quite a bit, you do have a good taste in places to visit 🙂
ooh! I do like doing all that! 😀
I do have good taste don’t I?! 😛 (modesty is my middle name! 😉 )
@pixie, you have ‘awesome’ taste 😀 And ‘flattery’ is my last name 😉
LOL! We will always get along just fine then Jai!! 😉
You know my story already. Had written a post about it sometime earlier. Its been a little more than a month and I have to say I am addicted. That 1 hour I spend in the morning is for me and me alone. Results are an added incentive 🙂 who is the guest author??
hahhahaha ! I have never been to a gym..so absolutely no clue..but I did laugh a lot when I was reading this post
@R’s Mom, purpose of post achieved 😀
lol.. i wish author also included the amount of fees we have to pay for the gym.. :P. till now havent joined any gym, but when i have, will surely follow the steps.. 🙂
@ashreyamom, if he had included the Gym Membership Fees as well, it would have become a ‘horror post’ and not a ‘humor post’ 😉
Yess magnum especially the new 25 year celebration champagne one..it is yummyliscious. .
Now that is a good guide indeed .. I love going to gym. . Sadly cant affird designer clothes or shoes..
An old tee does the trick always..
Somehow in men it becomes a competition who picks heaviest weight or more repetitions. .I fall into it especially when a couple of frie ds arrive at the same time..
I enjoy my hour and half early morning 6am.. the day goes great..
@Bikramjit, good for you that you enjoy the gym and your Magnum Ice Creams as well. You seem to have the ‘best of both worlds’ I see 😀
well yeah.. as I have given up on reducing weight.. as they say if you want win them.. join them 🙂
LOL 😀 😀 The first point is one of the reasons I dont hit the office gym! 😀
@greenboochi, 😀 😀 😀
😀 LOL ! Thats a nice one. I had always thought that getting your get-up for gymming is always more tiresome than actually working out. As far as working out is concerned, one might as well run up and down the stairs but then there goes your bragging about your workout.
@themoonstone, yes, just imagine you telling your Facebook friends that you ran up and down flights of stairs 🙂 But an update from Endomondo Sports Tracker with a map to boot, now that is a killer Status Update, isn’t it 😀
Lol.. Well we do have some of that variety at the gym but when you’ve been going long enough the clothes enthu kind of wears off and you come to realise the value of comfort.. Of course the key point is ‘going long enough’.
@obsessivemom, so true, longevity is key, isn’t it ??